On Sun, Jun 01, 2014 at 11:37, Theo de Raadt wrote:
>> Could you please provide a little bit more information? What causes
>> encrypted vnd to be insecure
>
> Ted went a bit far; it is unusual for him to be melodratic.
>
> Basically -- less than state of the art crypto.

You would never use blowfish-cbc (with a 64-bit blocksize) for disk
encryption today. You can probably find a wiki page somewhere with
details, but the reality is most people aren't capable of assessing
whether this is "secure enough".

Part of the deprecation / migration process is identifying the weird
ways people use vnd and finding solutions for them. But as we've seen,
people never move forward without the occasional push.