On 2014-06-05, "STeve Andre'" <and...@msu.edu> wrote:

> I think you are relying on the smart system too much.

Not at all, but I knew people would immediately direct me to it.

> Certainly try what David said, but it's obvious that the disk is
> sick despite what the smart system may say.

I got a replacement disk and I'm now trying to get the data off the
old one.  (Nothing really important.)  That is proceeding fitfully.
There are spurts of 65 MB/s and then there are stretches of XXX
kB/s, XX kB/s, down to 5 kB/s.  At the current average rate it will
be going for five or six days, assuming the disk survives that long.

Whatever's wrong with it, it's a tenacious little bugger.  There
still hasn't been a single hard read error.  Anyway, I guess we can
close the topic.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          na...@mips.inka.de