previously on this list Nick Holland contributed:

> > ftp://cm.bell-labs.com/who/dmr/licenses/pricelist84.pdf
> >
> > "UNIX System V, Release 2.0, Source Code (1) .. $43,000.00"
> > "Each Additional CPU .......................... $16,000.00"
> >
> > And so on.. :-)

When this history comes up I wonder that in order to avoid legal
issues the remaining unchanged and I guess some core parts were
re-written at Berkeley and so were all the changes good and
could/should? any of the AT&T original code be re-considered today if
any legal threat has subsided/expired? Of course things being built
upon them may carry much more weight.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)