The easiest way would be to look for a file $USER.key in /home. If it
exists, look for a corresponding $USER.img file somewhere and mount it
on /home/$USER. This way you won't have to do anything special for a
certain user except changing his login-facility used. And you don't
twist semantics.

As for beeing intrusive to the system itself: The question is more if
there's really that much usage of this functionality; and if it turns
out to be, there will be enough experience up to that moment to come up
with a real good solution.

After all, be it FreeBSD, NetBSD, Linux, all of them use the vnd/loop
thing for getting disk encryption to work. This is not an optimal
solution in my opinion. On the other hand cryptographic filesystems
turned out to be hardly maintainable. There's not that much left, but
the current situation is clearly just one of a transition in respect to
crypto storage.

All the best,
/Markus