I finally upgraded my last machine - that runs ldapd(8) for user
logins, mail aliases, and a few other odds and ends - from 5.4 to 5.5.

I'm left wondering if I'm the only one who actually uses the stock
ldapd(8), because it is not called out at all in upgrade55.html as
having problems with the Year 2038 fixes that went into 5.5.

I ended up having to create a 5.4 VM (I stuck with the same amd64 arch
as my actual server, and have not investigated or tested under what
constraints this might work across architectures) to load the ldapd(8)
database files, use third party LDAP tools to create a text dump in
LDIF format, and then load the LDIF into an empty database of 5.5
ldapd(8).

It looks like particularly the btree_stat and btree_meta structs used
in the ldapd(8) btree implementation are the culprits, as it looks like
they are the only time_t bits actually stored on disk.  Since it
appears my problems are now solved, I'm mostly sending this message as
a heads up in case there is anyone still getting ready to upgrade to
5.5 that uses ldapd(8).

Something probably deserves to be in update55.html as well, but I don't
have a repeatable, documented procedure for what I did.
--
 Matthew Weigel
 hacker