Hello misc@

I once created an USB stick (uSDHC card with reader, actually) using
OpenBSD 5.4 (might have been an earlier that I later binary upgraded)
that contains a softraid encrypted and bootable OpenBSD installation.
It has worked just fine.

Just now I created a new stick with OpenBSD 5.5 in the same way,
since binary upgrading seemed awkward due to the time_t change,
and while doing so I attached the old stick to copy configuration
files.  When attaching it softraid0 said something about roaming disk
that was sdX but now sdY - updating metadata, which is not unusual.

At least I think that is what triggered the problem...

After this the old USB stick does not boot.  The list of disks
that show up in the boot prompt are: hd0, hd1, and sr0, but
sr0 is no longer marked with a '*' which I beleive indicates
bootability, so boot(8) tries to boot hd1 and fails.
If I tell boot(8) via "set device sd0a" to boot from sd0
it does so and that works fine.

So autmatic booting now does not work on the old stick?
Is this a bug or expected?  Can I fix the old stick?
(just curious, it is not that important)

Some more details: both sticks have an MBR with just the last
slot type A6 (dedicated for OpenBSD), and their disklabels
have a partition 'a' of type RAID and a swap partition 'b'.
The whole installation is then within the softraid disk.
The old stick was created on i386 and the new on amd64.

I hope that was enough information for someone to get an idea.

I myself suspect there is some kind of metadata change that
got written when roaming to OpenBSD 5.5 that the old boot(8)
loader gets confused by.  Nevertheless it is surprising that
roaming a softraid disk can change it to the worse...

Best Regards