On 01-08-2014 15:47, Kevin Chadwick wrote:
> I wonder if a short list of access mode capable devices or chipsets
> that are known to work well for atleast 24 hours or maybe 60 days would
> be a good addition to the access point section of the faq (6.13)
> especially with OpenBSD being such a good system to use as an access
> point.
>
> In the mailing lists sthen suggests pci atheros are more stable so
> perhaps a couple of those device names could go in and then whatever
> particular chipsets or even driver type that is thought most reliable in
> hostap mode could go in too?
>
> For example I was considering trying a rum driver and was completely
> unsure about it despite some mailing list searches and then read the
> man page caveat section and so won't. I guess atheros was right but I
> should look into a card type or another chipset.
>
> I'm sure many use wireless a lot more than me so if you've had a
> reliable experience with OpenBSD as an wpa2 access point then perhaps
> you could list it here or look up your devices chipset at
> https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Main_Page and list that.
>
> Cheers,
>       Kc

I used for 2 years a ral(4) pci card with no issues. I've noticed
however, that apple devices put more strain on the wireless network, and
this isn't just on OpenBSD and happens also with access points. But,
they don't follow standards. Every owner of an apple airport which is
running arpwatch on their networks will notice that the airport take
over the mac addresses of the wireless clients. But I also believe that
atheros devices will give you better performance. Just don't forget that
the 802.11 network stack of OpenBSD does not support 802.11n yet. It
should be factored in, performance wise.

Cheers,

--
Giancarlo Razzolini
GPG: 4096R/77B981BC

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pkcs7-signature which
had a name of smime.p7s]