On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 10:50:55AM -0500, Adam Thompson wrote:
> While a long way from perfect, tools such as "chkrootkit" and "rkhunter"
> might shed some light on your situation.
> As Giancarlo said, check every machine that's closely interconnected, not
> just the one compromised server you've noticed.
> I haven't used them under OpenBSD, so not sure how effective they'll be
> (both projects claim to support OpenBSD), but they're probably more
> appropriate than clamscan(1) which looks for mostly MS Windows-based
> viruses, not rootkits.

Thank you for the suggestion. I just ran both chkrootkit and rkhunter.
chkrootkit didn't find any matches. rkhunter had a couple warnings but
to my eye they checkout out, i.e. warning that pkg_info is a perl
script.

That said, I'm going to make chkrootkit and rkhunter a regular part of
my maintenance regime, perhaps add them as daily cron jobs.