On Sat, Aug 16, 2014 at 09:31:03AM +1200, worik wrote:
> I do not use sound on my machine.  I am new to OpenBSD and in examining
> the running system I see sndio is running.

When unused, sndiod is very small (eg. smaller than getty) and
disabling it won't save much memory. Think of it as a kernel
service we moved in user-space. It's like all these features that
you don't use but that consume a tiny amount of memory (drivers for
file systems you don't have, softraid, drivers for hardware you
don't have etc).

Such small memory savings are not worth the effort.

> I see it is started in /etc/rc, but the FAQ suggests that this file
> should not be edited.
>
> What is the proper way to turn it off?

set sndiod_flags=NO in /etc/rc.conf.local (create one if it doesn't
exist). This is explained here:

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq10.html#rc