On 23.08.2014. 18:16, Nick Holland wrote:

real mem = 1568260096 (1495MB)
avail mem = 1517772800 (1447MB)
cpu0 at mainbus0: apid 0 (boot processor)
cpu0: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU G530 @ 2.40GHz, 2394.94 MHz

ok, how do I put this nicely...
To run a modern browser, you need a modern computer.  1.5GB RAM and a
celeron processor doesn't cut it.
NOW, that doesn't cause CRASHES, but when you fix the crashes by
cranking up your login.conf specs, you will be so far into swap you will
wish your browser crashed.

Well, nowadays one can get a very fast CPU and lot of RAM cheaply, but that does not mean all of this is necessary in order to just browse the web.

From time to time, I must use a 12-year old Pentium 4 Northwood, 1.8 GHz, 512 kB cache with 512 MB RAM, it has Windows XP installed and is quite usable with modern web browsers.

Until recently, I also regularly used an Athlon64 Venice, 2.0 GHz, 1 MB cache and 1 GB RAM under Linux, and it was usable even with many tabs/sites open. The only problem was Adobe flash Linux plugin, which was for some reason slower than its Windows counterpart.

Current Pentiums and Celerons (such as this G530) are based on Core i architecture, have more than one core, and are much faster than the two mentioned processors. 1.5 GB RAM is also _a lot of memory_, regardless how easy is to get more today.

The point is: It should work just fine. Just raise the OS memory limits.