Paul de Weerd:

> | Here's a bold suggestion: Don't buy consumer drives.
>
> The guys that buy LOTS disagree.
> https://www.backblaze.com/blog/what-hard-drive-should-i-buy/

Oh, I know.  That's a different operations model, though.  When you
have LOTS of drives, failures will inevitably become commonplace,
so your whole storage architecture will be built to deal transparently
with lost drives, and once that is in place, a higher rate of failure
may be an acceptable trade-off.

This is very different from an environment with few drives, where
any single failure will be a pain to deal with.  The saying goes
that nobody wants backup, everybody wants restore, but I'd really
prefer not having to restore either.

Now, the real question is whether enterprise drives actually *are*
more reliable than consumer drives.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          na...@mips.inka.de