> > # restore -rvs 1 -f /dev/rwd2a
> > Verify tape and initialize maps
> > restore: /dev/rwd2a: Device not configured
> > # restore -rvs 1 -f /dev/rwd2c
> > Verify tape and initialize maps
> > Tape block size is 32
> > restore: Tape is not a dump tape
> >
> > It is, quite possible that it didn't work properly to begin with, as I
> > did never check (my very bad).
>
> The partition being of type "unused" does prevent it from being read.
> Try changing it to 4.2BSD (m a command in disklabel editor). That'll
> allow you to read it. Of course I don;t know how much damage has been
> done and if restore will be able.

Thanks for the information. At least I get a little farther now
(though, not by much)
[0] offset and 4.2BSD got me:
Tape block size is 32
restore: Tape is not a dump tape

But with a [63] offset & 4.2BSD
# restore -rvs 1 -f /dev/wd2a
Tape block size is 32
Checksum error 130153226717, inode 0 file (null)
restore: Tape is not a dump tape

Good example of a case of why a [63] disklabel offset is extremely
important here, even when working with dump/restore.