On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 21:28:25 +0000 (UTC)
Stuart Henderson <s...@spacehopper.org> wrote:

Hi Stuart

Many thanks for the input, i do have access to the servers too.

> I was going to suggest that you might have asymmetric routing causing
> "split states" i.e. one firewall seeing inbound packets, one seeing
> outbound, in which case "ifconfig pfsync0 defer" might help, but
> (assuming you weren't just seeing issues from connections which
> had been setup before disabling one firewall) the above test would
> seem to rule that out ..

I think we had less connection drops with only one firewall, but they
didn't disappear.

Pfsync is configured to use unicast, the defer option is present:

# cat /etc/hostname.pfsync0
up syncif vlan123 defer syncpeer xx.xx.xx.xx

You are correct, the routing can be asymmetric in our case.

> What does the output of "sysctl kern.netlivelocks net.inet.ip.ifq"
> look like?

net.inet.ip.ifq.maxlen was set to 256 i've changed it to 768. I'll look
if the values in net.inet.ip.ifq.drops change.

Kind regards,
Daniel