On 10/12/2014 12:35 AM, Doug Hogan wrote:
On Sat, Oct 11, 2014 at 02:13:05PM -0700, Raymond Lillard wrote:
I have the opportunity to purchase a Dell laptop
with "Intel Crestline Graphics" hardware. Crestline
appears to be marketing speak for:

intel GM965/GMA X3100

Can someone advice me as to the likelihood of using
the h/w or will I be limitied to the framebuffer?

I think Crestline means the GMA X3100 core but not necessarily the
GM965.  According to Intel's ARK, it could be GM965, GME965, GL960 or
GLE960.  In practice, I don't think it will matter.
http://ark.intel.com/products/codename/2672/Crestline

One of my old laptops has a GM965 and it works fine in X.  It's a
Dell Inspiron 1525 that was advertised as having Crestline graphics.
The only problem that I've run into on the laptop is that
suspend/resume is flaky.

Thanks to Doug & Chris for the information.  It is good news.

The machine in question is a Latitude D830.  It has a T9500
processor (64-bit @2.6GHz), a 1920x1200 display and a
serial port. I should have possession of the machine in
about a week and will report my progress/results.

I hope to get accelerated graphics working so I can use it as
my personal workstation.  I have been using OBSD for infrastructure
since 3.0, and Linux for my daily driver desktop.  I have tried
moving my workstation to OBSD but always moved back because
I needed functionality only available on Linux.  I so very much
want to be done with Linux even though I have been using it
since 0.9* kernels.

If suspend/resume doesn't work, I can live with that.  I will
be chasing -current so maybe it can be sorted out if need be.
I'm looking forward to this.

Later,
Ray