Unfortunately host is maintained upstream, in the bind codebase,
by ISC.

You should file your bug report there, because that is the right way
to get change into the ecosystem.  We could fix it here, and be
different, then there will be even more problems.

(Unfortunately, I expect them to mumble something like "oops"
and then "backwards compatibility", which basically is the modern way
of of "once a bug goes into the ecosystem, we stand behind it and support
it fully".