Hi,

We have pairs of firewalls at all our remote office sites, with CARP interfaces on all physical interfaces. Head office also has a pair..

Every remote office site has IPSec VPNs to the head office (built against the CARP IPs and using sasyncd etc..). NB: VPN fail-over works brilliantly whether its a fail-over at the head office or remote office :)

To allow the remote firewalls themselves to use the VPNs (for monitoring/reporting back to HQ etc) we have to add a static route for the head office network onto the remote office firewalls which goes via the remote office firewalls local internal CARP interface. This ensures the packet is generated by the remote office firewall with a source IP of it's internal interface (so as to match the IPSec VPN Policy based route), and so that the backup firewall sends its traffic to the current master which is running the VPN.

E.g. 10.0.0/24 is the head office network on the other side of the VPN. 10.16.0.254 is the CARP interface on the inside of the remote office firewalls

[OFFICE]root@stfw2:~# netstat -rn | grep 10.0.0
Internet:
Destination        Gateway            Flags   Refs      Use   Mtu Prio Iface
10.0.0/24          10.16.0.254        UGS        2     4342 -     8 em1
Encap:
Source Port Destination Port Proto SA(Address/Proto/Type/Direction) 10.0.0/24 0 10.16.0/24 0 0 178.78.113.100/esp/use/in 10.16.0/24 0 10.0.0/24 0 0 178.78.113.100/esp/require/out

However, the master firewall throws this error (*many* times a second continuously);
arpresolve: 10.16.0.254: route without link local address

This seems to happen because on the master the route for the CARP interface has no MAC;
Destination        Gateway            Flags   Refs      Use   Mtu Prio Iface
10.16.0.254         10.16.0.254         UH         1        4 -     4 carp1

Is their a way around this? We just want both of the remote firewalls to be able to use the IPSec VPN back to head office.

This error can't be good or healthy to just ignore with the rate it occurs :(

Cheers, Andy.