On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 12:44:32AM -0500, Brian A. Seklecki wrote:
> > There is the (expensive) Real Weasel for x86 kit, Dell's crappy lights
>
> DRAC/4 isn't that bad >:}
>
> You can always use serial console redirection on the 1850s/2850s; it
> works well until OS boot (BIOS menus works, RAID, IPMI menus), when you
> have to setup serial console redirection on the boot loader/kernel, and
> then start a getty on the com.
>
> Plus you have hardware level IPMI (cold boots, etc.) which you can tag
> with a VLAN.

I hadn't realised that was possible without the DRAC. If I get a chance,
I'll play about with some of the test Dell boxes at work.

> It's not Sun, though.

I'm not all that brand conscious, more interested in what works, is
avaiable, replaceable, reliable, etc.

I don't want to find that I can't control a box from Scotland that I've
posted to New Zealand!

I just hadn't heard anything good about the DRAC: poor support with
RHEL, etc.

Craig.