Hi Craig,

Craig R. Skinner wrote on Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 10:47:40AM +0100:
> On 2014-10-20 Mon 11:32 AM |, worik wrote:

>> In a fresh(ish) OpenBSD installation I note .cshrc and .profile in /.

> Rename them to /.cshrc~ & /.profile~ and see what breaks...
> I always delete them due to having /etc/{profile,csh.cshrc,csh.login}

That is not necessarily be good advice, depending on the circumstances,
and depending on what you put into the files below /etc.  You may
only see what breaks when it is too late.

The purpose of the shell dot files in / is to have safe fallbacks
when the home directory of a non-privileged user logging in is
currently unavailable.  That may for example happen when /home
is on NFS, or when the disk containing it is physically broken
or just happens to be unmounted.

Yours,
  Ingo