Dmitrij D. Czarkoff, 25 Oct 2014 22:21:
> FWIW I use mbsync (from mail/isync) to sync Gmail to local maildir, and
> have my mutt set up to work in maildir only.  I set up cron to call
> mbsync on schedule, and I from then I totally forgot about the
> crappiness of Gmail's IMAP interface.

thanks for the tip.
i got a couple of other tips off-list, all describing
some offline sync, fetchmail and other solutions, which
are fine.  however mutt is seen as a fine gmail
and/or imap client and i would normally take this
to the mutt mailing list (obviously).

without full debugging it is not possible to know which
component is failing in the chain.  it's just that
there is a lot of ongoing work on SSL in openbsd,
so i thought i might bring it up here as the error
message specifically mentioned SSL.

-f
--
smile, its the second best thing you can do with your lips.