On 2014-10-27 19:14, Steve Williams wrote:
> I have never done a dump/restore of a complete system before.  I do know
> that on my physical system, the hard disk is sd0 whereas the VM, it's
> wd0 (with an OpenBSD 5.5 install... yes, I know 5.6 is imminent).  Not a
> big deal to tweak /etc/fstab though.

Easy enough to fix - add an SAS controller to your VM, move your disk
image file to that controller and reboot. Now OpenBSD thinks you have sd0.

> I'm reasonably comfortable with dump/restore, but not to completely
> "clone" a system.
>
> How can I do a dump of the root filesystem over top of a running system
> (in the VM)?   Does it have to be in single user mode?
>
> Are there any other things that are going to need to be tweaked other
> than /etc/fstab?
>
> Am I going to need to run installboot or some other such utility to get
> it to boot correctly after a restore?
>
> Any thoughts of this idea in general?

I'd just do a minimal install of 5.2 on the VM system. Layout the disks
similar to what you have now.

Then boot into single user mode and simply do something like this:

# cd /
# ssh therealserver "(cd /; find / -print | grep -v "^/boot$" | cpio
-oBz)" | cpio -icvBdmz
# reboot

...and hope for some good luck. :-) Note that if you don't copy /boot,
you won't have to risk having to fiddle with installboot.

(Just realized you're running -current, but I think it's a fairly safe
bet to gamble that /boot haven't changed fatally since -release, so you
can make do with the one installed with release. I mean, it's only your
test run - you just need to get it to boot with a copy of your running
server, then there's going to be new /boot:s installed with the upgrades
anyway.)

Regards,
/Benny

--
internetlabbet.se     / work:   +46 8 551 124 80      / "Words must
Benny Lofgren        /  mobile: +46 70 718 11 90     /   be weighed,