via T-Mobile and via the hotel-WLAN (I guess DTAG). Only at home and at
the hotel a Fritz!Box (different models) is involved, not if I use my
mobile phone. I will take a look at 'man netstat' and proceed as you
suggested. Best,STEFAN Gesendet: Montag, 03. November 2014 um 12:17 Uhr
Von: "Peter J. Philipp" <p...@centroid.eu>
An: "Stefan Wollny" <stefan.wol...@web.de>
Cc: openbsd-misc <misc@openbsd.org>
Betreff: Re: still loosing connectionsOn Sun, Nov 02, 2014 at 08:41:44PM
+0100, Stefan Wollny wrote:
> > I think so. Your message is a million lines long, but I have no idea
> > what the problem is.
> >

> Hi Ted,
>
> thank you for taking your time to reply.
>
> Long story short: "Sometimes" (=not deliberately repeatable) when
> fetching a fresh snapshot and/or the sources afterwards and/or running
> 'pkg_add -ui' connections to the internet are lost, entirely. This
> happens with i386-current as well with amd64-current and with different
> providers.
>
> I have to bring down all interfaces and flush routes prior to 'sudo
> sh /etc/netstart' to get a connection - but even this does not always
> work - a restart is then required.
>
> My problem is: I have no clue where to look or how to investigate
> further into this issue. That is why I have described en d??tail what I
> am doing and added as much information as possible.
>
> Can you (or s.o. else) give me hint where to look? I feel kind of
lost...

> Thank's a lot!
>
> Cheers,
> STEFAN
>

> BTW: By now I use
> OpenBSD 5.6-current (GENERIC.MP) #515: Sat Nov 1 20:55:07 MDT 2014
> dera...@amd64.openbsd.org:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC.MP

Hi Stefan,

Did you say you used different providers? Did you try my udptunnel that I
told you about in private mail? I can update the sources for you on my
vps in amsterdam for you. If you've followed my problem it was with the
FritzBox, still is because I couldn't restore my config on the FritzBox
after
downgrading, so I upgraded to 6.20 again. The udptunnel I wrote
circumvents
the bad networking associated with the fritzbox.

Generally I think watching a netstat -s output for tcp is a good start.
Look for retransmissions and hangups in the tcp section of that. A
dmesg to the list would be helpful, as always add a description of what
interfaces you use for default route.

Also take a look at netstat -ni and look for hardware errors on the
interface
itself. There is input/output errors and collisions noted.

So, netstat -s > netstat-s.`date +"%s"` before your downloads and the
same
during and after, see if anything changes using diff helps too.

Good luck!

-peter