On 20.11.2014 23:40, Austin Gilbert wrote:
On Nov 20, 2014, at 4:08 PM, bodie <bodz...@openbsd.cz> wrote:

What is the date of your bsd.rd and snapshot? They are new most of the time daily.
Like eg. now 20-Nov-2014 21:40  7.2M

Perhaps I got burned by cheating? I grabbed install56.iso burned it
to a CD and booted that. I didn’t verify the bsd.rd on the ISO is
the latest version in the snapshot folder.

217M Nov 18 17:37 install56.iso

Did you already try to install complete snapshot on USB flash disk and boot out of it
to see if it's issue just with bsd.rd or even with regular kernel?

Negative. When I tried installing onto the USB from my MacBook laptop
(the only other amd64 hardware I have available) the USB wasn’t
recognized. I did that with the 5.6 release CD not  snapshot/current,
no surprise the USB 3 hardware wasn’t supported.

You can do this point anywhere where you have ability to provide USB flash to eg. virtual machine in VirtualBox, VMware Player, Qemu, whatever. It's sometimes handy
to have such flash disk at hand.

I think at this point, I will try to go with the unattended install +
SSH and see if I can get her up and running that way. Then I can send
a dmesg and debugging information along to any interested parties.