> This error does not show up with only one regular http-site, but (at
> least with Firefox) happens with 7+ tabs opened.

What sites?  Always the same sites?  Different sites?  What have you tried?
How much time goes by before is hangs?  Do you have to be doing anything at
the time?

> Both browsers stop responding altogether. I can't even close the window:
> If started in an xterm (like shown above) I have to kill the app with
> STRG-C; otherwise via "kill -9".

Try killing gst-plugin-scanner

> ~ $ pkg_info | grep gstreamer
> gstreamer-0.10.36p6 framework for streaming media
> gstreamer-plugins-base-0.10.36p11 base elements for GStreamer
> gstreamer-plugins-good-0.10.31p12v0 good elements for GStreamer
> gstreamer-plugins-ugly-0.10.19p4 ugly elements for GStreamer
> gstreamer1-1.4.4    framework for streaming media
> gstreamer1-plugins-base-1.4.4 base elements for GStreamer
> gstreamer1-plugins-good-1.4.4 good elements for GStreamer
> gstreamer1-plugins-libav-1.4.4 ffmpeg elements for GStreamer
> qt-gstreamer-1.2.0p0 Qt bindings to GStreamer 1.x

I don't have -ugly installed and don't have problems.  I'd try getting rid
of that.

You have to start trying different things and narrowing it down.

Tim.