Hello,

I'd like to figure out what causes very low performance of disk operations
on my laptop.

I've tested it by unpacking gzipped tar archive (
http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/OpenBSD/5.6/src.tar.gz) about 125 MiB big.
On the same machine, not cached, various results by operating system:

NetBSD 6.1.5    22 secs
Linux 3.14.22    8 secs
OpenBSD 5.6     aborted after 10 minutes as still not finished

Unpacking was done with `tar xzf src.tar.gz', even tried on uncompressed
src.tar but roughly same results.

By comparing with more similar NetBSD I've found the SATA disk is attached
differently:
 -  in OpenBSD detected as SCSI, `sd' driver used, no sign of Ultra-DMA
access
 -  in NetBSD detected as (SATA) IDE, `wd' driver used, UDMA/133 activated

I've tried mount the partition with softdeps and noatime options, but
that's only a slight improvement.

Any idea how to fix this issue (like forcing use of wd?) or I'm out of luck
and my 750GB Hitachi SATA IDE is unsupported in OpenBSD and no generic
driver can be used ?

Thank