Hi

So I am looking into authpf and I am wondering about some real world
applications.

I have a bunch of users, but I also have just a bunch of machines.

The machines cannot login via SSH and should not try to do so (via some
script or otherwise). However, these machines needs access 24/7.

So I was thinking about fixing rules to those machines before any
anchors for users, but I cannot see how this provides any security at
all - and bear with me if I am overlooking something.

If say machine 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3 needs unrestricted access to
the net, then wont it be as easy as "Joe" changing his machines IP
address to 192.168.0.2 to gain access without authentication?

And what about other kinds of access? Now I get a brand new box in that
needs a fresh installation of some Linux distribution that we install
over HTTP. This new box doesn't come with a SSH console and the install
disk doesn't provide a console with SSH during installation.

Then I am beginning to see signs of "network segmentation" in my head,
but that kindda makes authpf more or less useless then - unless I need
to grant different people different access on the same segment I can
just segment the entire net.

Anyway, I hope I make sense! :)

How do you use authpf in real life?

Kind regards.