Uwe Dippel wrote:
> [Background: we now received the second batch of Proliant ML-350G4p with
> dual core Xeon. I had pointed out earlier that bsd.mp performs a
> miscalculation of the time-stamp by 2:1 on ML350G4. This is unresolved
> despite all efforts and input; but goes into another thread.]
> On the ML350G4p the time with bsd is 99.99% correct; with bsd.mp it is off
> by around 5% (one hour per day).
> I started openNTPD when the difference was around 1 hour, three days ago.
> From then on, it has given regular messages (/var/log/daemon) about its
> adjustments. But instead of gradually closing the gap, the gap has
> continuously widened and now I am off by around 3 hours and the adjustment
> message is at 9300 seconds. When it started, this was around 4000 seconds.
>
> Conclusion: openntpd is not able to 'pull in' the wrong time; it rather
> only notes it and tries to adjust to an ever wider gap.
> Probably it regulation parameters are fixed, and it cannot adjust a larger
> disparity.
>
> Any hint welcome,
>
> Uwe

1) set time properly, using rdate or ntpd -s.
2) now how does it do?

There is a problem in 3.8-release, probably before, though I didn't
notice it myself, where huge time errors would never correct themselves,
but rather, it would settle happily on a very wrong time.  This has been
fixed in -current (though it still may take days to close a large gap,
but at least, it closes.).

HOWEVER, you may be dealing with a drift that is much bigger than ntpd
is designed to handle.  Don't expect ntpd to make sense of a wildly
drifting clock, it is only designed to provide little nudges in the
right direction, not rework the entire clock hardware and software to
compensate for a problem.

Nick.