Hi all,

I'm finally getting round to updating my home server (gets a fresh 5.6
install).

Of course, there were a lot of changes over the past versions, one of
them being the whole apache -> nginx -> httpd migration. My webserver
has a CMS running which requires PHP and MySQL, plus a few more
PHP-applications. Also, I have two or three virtual sites running and
I'm currently considering having a look at something like Owncloud
and/or Citadel.

Given the current state of development in OpenBSD, I'm now wondering
what the best way forward is for me:

a) Install apache-httpd-openbsd from ports and keep my configuration
   basically as is
   Advantage: Less work to get everything running - I've done OpenBSD
   re-installs like that several times over the past years
   Disadvantage: I guess that the new httpd will get a lot more
   developer attention, so this does not seem the ideal option longterm,
   but I could always migrate to httpd later, e.g. when upgrading to 5.7
   or (more likely) 5.8

b) Migrate to nginx
   This seems to be the least interesting option - not only do I have to
   migrate now, but once more in the future, as nginx is also on the way
   out (so, the same "developer attention" caveat applies as with
   apache)

c) Migrate to httpd
   From what I've gathered so far from this list, this would basically
   require me to switch to -current, as the 5.6 version is too fresh and
   too many changes have happened since - or am I being pessimistic
   here? I've never run -current before, hence, I'm a bit hesitant...

I tend to go for a) because I do not want to migrate twice - but maybe
somebody else has some interesting points that I have not considered
yet? I'd appreciate the input!

Regards,

Thomas
                 Thomas Ribbrock    http://www.ribbrock.org/