Hi all,

Just for the record, I do not think that OpenBSD/i386 behavior with virtual disks running on KVM is a bug. Virtio was designed specially for virtual machines and all modern Linux distros and other modern operating systems support it, therefore the only good reason for not using virtio is having a legacy OS that does not support it.

Since the default in QEMU/KVM is NOT virtio and there are people getting hit with this like myself I considered a good idea to share this, but I do not consider this a bug, maybe a nice-to-have. OpenBSD runs fine with virtio and virtio is the fastest interface for any OS, better to use it than not.

--
Best regards,
Jorge Lopez.

Quoting Mark Kettenis <mark.kette...@xs4all.nl>:

The way OpenBSD/i386 uses the xAPIC interrupt controller gives KVM
(and other virtualization software) a hard time.  OpenBSD/amd64 does
things in a KVM-friendlier way, and we're trying to make it even
friendlier.  Fixing the interrupt handling on OpenBSD/i386 isn't very
high on my priority list.  I really recommend that people use
OpenBSD/amd64 .  You'll get much better address space randomization
and NX bit support that way.