On Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 10:40 AM, <etie...@magickarpet.org> wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> Could anyone recommend which filesystem type to use when backing up a few
> hundred GB of files from NetBSD onto a USB disk, planning to restore them
> on an OpenBSD machine. I remember distantly that last time I tried with
> FFS, it didn't work.

I assume NFS/scp/rsync is out of the question?

I've successfully used FreeBSD FFS partitions in NetBSD, after adjusting
the MBR partition type (A5/A6/A9) and disklabel (renamed sd0d to sd0h since
NetBSD uses sd0c for "the entire BSD MBR partition" and sd0d for "the
entire disk"), so I would expect it to work with these adjustments, but it
is by no means guaranteed (this was several versions ago), and "caveat
emptor" applies.

tar is good and simple if you're restoring the whole thing right away, but
if you want to easily get various individual files out of the backup or
rearrange the structure, rsync to ext2 (or ffs, maybe) would be better.