On Sat, 21 Mar 2015 14:14:22 -0700
luke...@onemodel.org wrote:

> Thanks to all who've commented: this has been educational & useful.

Systrace is also an option but the policy writing could be a little
work, the regex support is certainly helpful there.

systrace -A is very helpful
then edit files in .systrace such as removing lib version numbers to
prevent upgrades from breaking the policy and adding regex for IP
connections

systrace -a to enforce.

Personally I'd like to use systrace -A with cksum -a sha256 on the
updated policy file and gxmessage to warn about previously unseen
behaviour but unfortunately I don't think the policy generation has any
regex support so every IP connected to will be logged and flag up new
behavior and I think the -E logging option will only help in
enforcement mode. There used to be a gui mode which I believe Ted
removed without any objections but was quite cool and would enforce but
ask you upon new system calls but it would very occasionally get stuck
during the deny while asking stage and so cause user complaints
(here, not on list).

chflags sappnd might work too on the policy files making a pretty good
yet trouble free HIPS but I haven't tested that yet