Jack Woehr wrote:
Seems to me I solved this one before about four years ago, but ...

OBSD 3.8 w/ the installed Apache httpd doesn't follow my symlinks,
e.g., /var/www/htdocs/doc/ is a link to /usr/local/doc but no love
on http://localhost:/doc

FollowSymLinks is there in httpd.conf ... all the dirs and fiels seem
to have okay permissions. What obvious thing that I figured out
already years ago am I forgetting, please?

More information here:
http://openbsd.org/faq/faq10.html#httpdchroot

And specifically in the FaQ as this "You can, of course, use symbolic links in the user's home directories pointing to subdirectories in /var/www, but you can NOT use links in /var/www pointing to other parts of the file system -- that is prevented from working by the chroot(2)ing."

Daniel