On Sat, Apr 04, 2015 at 11:49:08AM -0400, Nick Holland wrote:

> >> There is no Firewrire support in OpenBSD, so no.
> >
> > "The tool can attack over FireWire, Thunderbolt, ExpressCard, PC Card
> > and *any other PCI/PCIe HW interfaces*"
> >
> >> Btw: This is old news.
> >
> > Yes, but now practical realisation in a wild. So I'm interesting we're
> > secure against such attack? I see that latest MS Windows and Mas OS X
> > already patched. I suspect that it is harder for BSD/Linux because of
> > absence of such close relationship between graphical system and kernel
> > in Windows/MacOS (their solution is hack. They secure only when loged
> > out).
>
> so...you want an OS (which is hopelessly dependent upon hw) to protect
> against malicious hardware?  How is that supposed to work?
>
> I find spelling DMA out as "DIRECT MEMORY ACCESS" really kinda puts it
> all in perspective.  Hardware with DIRECT ... MEMORY ... ACCESS.  If you
> don't trust that hardware, it is GAME OVER.
>
> Ok, yes, some things, people might be surprised to find out have Direct
> Memory Access, such as Firewire, or Thunderbolt.  Things that mom or
> grandpa is expected to plug in are often considered "trusted".  That's
> wrong.  We've known that for quite some time.
>
> But nothing new here -- your computer has to be trusted.  This is why we
> have always said you must trust your physical environment.  Hardware
> that can take over the computer and control its operation dates
> back...well, pretty much to the dawn of computers (i.e., hardware
> debuggers.  If you can REMOVE bug with hardware, you can certainly
> insert them).
>
> In fact, about five seconds after someone says "Firewire has DIRECT
> MEMORY ACCESS", I think you should say, "oh. baad idea" (those five
> seconds were spent wondering if there was a use of "DMA" that applies
> here that you weren't thinking of).

All this is true and I totally agree with you. But there are partial
workarounds against this attack (see Windows/MacOS). All I wanted to
know whether there were any work in this direction. I'm not a programer.
It is impossible for me to answer to yourself by studying commits to CVS.

Thanks for your answer.