On Sat, May 2, 2015 at 3:55 PM, Marko Cupać <marko.cu...@mimar.rs> wrote:
> I have a pair of firewalls with identical syslog.conf files. Nothing
> special, just removed all the comments, and added a few lines for npppd
> log redirection:
> If I rsync syslog.conf from one firewall to another and restart
> syslogd, everything works as expected. However, if I list file contents
> with cat in ssh session on one firewall and paste it in vi in ssh
> session on another one, although I get expected terminal output:
> Only syslogd exiting (and not consequent start) is logged:
> May  3 00:36:57 nat2 syslogd: exiting on signal 15
>
> After this syslogd is shown as running but nothing gets logged
> to messages, authlog etc.
> Is this just my system or someone can reproduce this? What could be the
> reason for this?

So the results for a file scp'ed differs from one copy-n-pasted.  Did
you consider using diff on the resulting files to see how they
differed?

The syntax of syslog.conf treats tabs differently than spaces.  When
you cat, then copy and paste, you're almost certainly converting the
tabs to spaces.

Or it could be something completely different that diff will reveal.

Philip Guenther