I don't think it did this back in 5.0 days or maybe earlier.  I started
with OpenBSD 2.7, I just usually attributed problems to being my fault.
And I've always used the ports tree, not packages. Distfiles are often
useful across OpenBSD versions, sometimes in FreeBSD, I've even built some
under Linux.

I didn't look at what FETCH_CMD was defined as by default, I just assumed
defining something non-null changed it.  I did notice that when it retries
it's wrongly assumed there's a problem with the first source and gone to
another.

Does every developer have perfect internet?  That's very frustrating, maybe
counterproductive in testing.  Try a modem, you can probably find a free
one.  Connection interruptions and resets happen many times a day.