On 2015 Jun 26 (Fri) at 00:18:40 -0600 (-0600), dsp wrote:
:On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 03:21:31PM -0600, dsp wrote:
:> On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 08:18:34PM -0600, dsp wrote:
:> > Hello list!
:> >
:> > please excuse my probably idiotic question, but i'm still a new OpenBGPd
user.
:> > (5.7 release)
:> >
:> > what i'm trying to achieve is:
:> > a) connect to a bunch of peers but announce nothing to them. just collect
their updates.
:> > b) send all those updates to another peer ($livebgp)
:> >
:> > my config is :
:> >
:> > AS 65005
:> > router-id a.b.c.d
:> > route-collector yes
:> > transparent-as yes
:> >
:> > neighbor $livebgp {
:> >         remote-as       65001
:> >         descr           livebgp
:> >         holdtime        180
:> >         multihop        100
:> >         passive
:> >         holdtime min    3
:> >         announce        all
:> > }
:> >
:> > group peers {
:> >         announce none
:> >         holdtime        180
:> >         holdtime min    3
:> >         multihop        100
:> >         neighbor $foo {
:> >                 remote-as       xxxx
:> >                 descr           foo
:> >         }
:> >    ...
:> > }
:> allow from any
:> allow to $livebgp
:>
:> solved it for me.
:> sorry for the noise :)
:Hello again list.
:I come back to you with this problem cause it has been bugging me for weeks
now.
:please if anyone has any input, share :)
:
:So the thing is that the updates i'm getting to my $livebgp neighbor seem to
only to be originating from
:2 of the almost 10 connected hosts in the group peers. (one of the 2 is
actually my closest BGP router)
:i'm checking with bgpctl show and seeing updates coming to me from other
connected peers, but my openbgpd
:only sends out ones from my closest AS and one more.
:

you are crossing ASes.  the relevent part of the man page for bgpd.conf says:

     announce (all|none|self|default-route)
             If set to none, no UPDATE messages will be sent to the neighbor.
             If set to default-route, only the default route will be announced
             to the neighbor.  If set to all, all generated UPDATE messages
             will be sent to the neighbor.  This is usually used for transit
             AS's and IBGP peers.  The default value for EBGP peers is self,
             which limits the sent UPDATE messages to announcements of the
             local AS.  The default for IBGP peers is all.

:How can i emulate an IXP route server functionality so that my $livebgp peer
gets ALL updates from ALL the hosts
:in the group peers???
:
:thank you very much!
:
:DSP
:>
:> DsP
:> >
:> > on the livebgp side though all i'm seeing are the keepalives.
:> > livebgp is doing active connection so that's why i have the passive there.
:> >
:> > do you guys have any input?
:> >
:> > Thank you so much!
:> >
:> > DsP
:

--
The computing field is always in need of new cliches.
                -- Alan Perlis