Hello Todd,

On Mon, Jul 06, 2015 at 06:37:24AM -0600, Todd C. Miller wrote:
> Is your mail being delivered to /var/mail/yourname or do you have
> a .forward file?  The comsat daemon is notified by mail.local which
> delivers mail to the local mail spool.  If you have a .forward file,
> mail.local is not used and you won't get a biff notification.

Till you mentioned about it I've ignored the existence of
/usr/libexec/mail.local. :-)  I'm a new to OpenBSD.  Is it some kind of
procmail's alike functionality?

My configuration is almost the after-install defaults.  There's just
a /root/.forward created at install time pointing to my user.  I thought
about it, I tried removing that .forward file and removing aliases I'd
added later and logged in *only* root user I sent email from root to root
to find out if some variable set in my ~/.kshrc or ~/.profile could be
interfering.

I tried modifying the comsat line in inetd.conf, using just udp4,
removing the ip limit prefix, etc.  I've tried installing procmail
(telling smtpd to use it).  I did some tests stopping /etc/rc.d/inetd
and running inetd -d form the command line.

With the default inetd.conf, after sending a mail to myself:

# inetd -d
ADD: 127.0.0.1:comsat proto=udp, wait.max=1.256 user:group=root:wheel builtin=0
server=/usr/libexec/comsat
ADD: ::1:comsat proto=udp6, wait.max=1.256 user:group=root:wheel builtin=0
server=/usr/libexec/comsat
ADD: daytime proto=tcp, wait.max=0.256 user:group=root:wheel
builtin=1959e0e08630 server=internal
ADD: daytime proto=tcp6, wait.max=0.256 user:group=root:wheel
builtin=1959e0e08630 server=internal
someone wants comsat
14937 execv /usr/libexec/comsat

The last two lines appeared right after sending the email.  I understand
(in my ignorance) that means inetd *receives* the notification (from
mail.local?).  And the following is what netstat shows:

# netstat -a -p udp
Active Internet connections (including servers)
Proto   Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address          Foreign Address        (state)
udp          0      0  localhost.biff         *.*
udp          0      0  *.syslog               *.*
Active Internet connections (including servers)
Proto   Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address          Foreign Address        (state)
udp6         0      0  localhost.biff         *.*
udp6         0      0  *.syslog               *.*

And that's all that came to my mind (I've tried also opening and closing
my living room's window several times :-)).

I know biff isn't a big concern but I insisted because I thought it
could be a symptom of some other more important issue.

>  - todd

        Walter

--
PLEASE, LET'S PRESERVE GOOD EMAIL PRACTICES
- Use plain text (no HTML please).