>  It comes back with  "no route to host" and when I do
> a nestat -rn, the Gateway is missing even though /etc/mygate exists.
>
> IP - 209.216.76.1
> Netmask - 255.255.255.252
> GW - 209.216.77.6

How do you get to the gateway? It isn't on the subnet. Your netmask
creates a network address of 209.216.76.0 with only 2 hosts
209.216.76.1 and 209.216.76.2.

Change the IP address of the host to 209.216.76.5, or use a gateway
address of 209.216.76.2, or an alternative netmask that will provide
you with a larger subnet allowing your current IP to get to the current
gateway, such as 255.255.255.248.

Chris