Hey Remi,

> I'm just starting to use hp dl360 gen9 servers with OpenBSD. With a few
> tweaks in the bios most stuff works fine:
>
> System Options
> o Processor Options
>  - Hyperthreading -> disable # HT does not help on a OpenBSD firewall
>  - Core disable -> 4         # That way the other cores can run at
>                              # higher speed
>  - Processor x2apic support -> disabled
>                              # if enabled OpenBSD only sees cpu0 and
>                              # not the others
> o USB Options
>  - USB 3.0 Mode -> disabled  # with usb3 enabled the keyboard does not
>                              # work in boot promt
> o Boot Options
>  - Boot Mode -> legacy bios mode
>                              # disable uefi
>

> Unfortunately the serial console does not work. I try to use the virtual
> serial port via iLO. While I have access to the BIOS and the boot loader
> it stops working once the kernel starts. dmesg says:
>
> com1 at isa0 port 0x2f8/8 irq 3: ns16550a, 16 byte fifo
> com1: probed fifo depth: 0 bytes
>
> On gen8 servers also a ns16550a is recoginized and it works nicely.
>
> Anybody knows how to make this work?

To my knowledge it doesn’t ( I have a many gen9 systems in various configs ).
Even on linux - to get the virtual serial console to work on the gen9 - it
requires an iLO driver ( which is bundled with the linux kernel ). So unless
some one ports that over, me are pretty much out of luck on any of the BSDs at
the moment (unless you find a magical work around, but even HP has said this is
the case).

I’ve been working with a few HP engineers on allowing direct access to the
serial device in a future iLO firmware, but in the mean time..

later,
-bp

  • hp dl360 gen9 Remi Locherer
    • Re: hp dl360 gen9 Benjamin Perrault