On Sat, Jul 25, 2015 at 12:18:34AM -0400, Nick Holland wrote:
> On 07/24/15 21:10, Артур Истомин wrote:
> > There is typo in "Upgrade Guide: 5.6 to 5.7".
> >
> > In section "Upgrade without the Install Kernel"
> > If using a single processor kernel
> >
> > cp bsd.rd bsd.mp /
> >
> > must be: [wrong crap I'm deleting so it isn't seen again]
>
> well, since you phrase it as "must be" and some poor sucker might
> believe you since you claim infallibility, let me put it in similarly
> blatant terms:
>
> What you claim "must be" is very wrong in more than one way.  What is in
> the page currently is right (at least, that part is.  Considering my
> typo rate, I'm sure there's something wrong in there someplace).
>

> cp -> the copy command, copies one *or more* files to a given destination.
>
> bsd.rd -> The ramdisk kernel, used to install and fix systems.  The
> first file to be copied.
>
> bsd.mp -> The multi-processor kernel, not used as this is a single
> processor system at this point in the docs.  The SECOND file to be copied.
>
> / -> the root of the file system; the destination of this command, where
> the TWO files will end up.
>
> So, my command copies both the ramdisk and multiprocessor kernels to the
> root of the file system, where they will probably be used rarely, but
> are there if needed.

Thanks for so many words for my banal stupid fault :)
What is interesting, there really has issued some error. It was my typo, i
think. I needed to sleep, and then later upgrade and write bug report :)

> Your command copies the ramdisk kernel to the root file system and
> renames it to the name the multiprocessor kernel normally has, which
> will guarantee much confusion when you need the ramdisk kernel and can't
> figure out where it is.  Or much downtime when you decide to try the MP
> kernel, rename it and remotely reboot it.

There is another explanation: "note: you will get a harmless error message
if your platform doesn't have a bsd.mp"