> Can someone with enough knowledge elaborate a bit about how graphic
> card performance can or can't influence a browser, please?

Of course, you will most probably want to hear by the browser porting
developers.

Interesting if you could try ask this question in the right place as
well.

This most probably addresses at best the specific browser developer
teams who run and test on OpenBSD supported platforms.

> I'm thinking about the X supported ones, with KMS ready and working.

Namely intel(4) & radeon(4) at the moment.

Nvidia video cards are a big disappointment (hint: don't buy), and
the browser still works OK even there. The disappointment is in the
nv main board chips as well (on many levels including technical
matters) which is unrelated to your browser question, same maker though.

Having used nv(4) as well which has no drm(4) & KMS support, I
can't make a significant difference on the browser level based on video
card toggle in the same system.

This means the browser is squeezing mostly the main system CPU like
nothing else, and if you're several years behind there, running JS is
not an option (there may be other reasons for this).

With video / media players, I've been quite happy with radeon(4) full
screen play at vast resolutions up to 2560x1440, and again the
limitation has been the CPU.

> Is there any visual noticeable difference if one is using a low end
> ATI card versus a more advanced one? Take for example ATI x1300 vs. HD
> 4370 or so.

Not in my experience. How about considering a low end something more
modern (which you can still pick new in the shops) with low power usage
and thermal output, like 5450/6450?

These work OK and are affordable, if your main board does not reject
them, so if you're just looking for a solution, this one is tested and
works here.

> Some threads already discussed about CPU hits on browser performance,
> but nothing about GPU.

For me, the big hit on browser performance is on the CPU, from a user
perspective. If you strongly disagree, please complain at the proper
place (not me).