It occurred to me just now to take a diff on the dmesgs:

On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 4:02 PM, Joel Rees <joel.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it unusual/unreasonable to install, not update, from a snapshot bsd.rd?
>
> If installing from a snapshot bsd.rd is not too unreasonable, does
> everyone doing that edit /etc/pkg.conf by hand to point to the local
> mirror's snapshots before re-booting, to pick up the firmware stuff in
> the first boot?
>
> In my case, that would be changing
>
>     http://ftp.jaist.ac.jp/pub/OpenBSD/%c/packages/%a
>
> in /etc/pkg.conf to
>
>     http://ftp.jaist.ac.jp/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/packages/%a
>
> The reason I ask is that, having installed from last week's snapshot
> to an outboard drive for experimenting, I noticed, on the first boot,
> that it was looking for some uvideo (I think) firmware which it
> couldn't find with the installpath as it was.

Judging from the lack of differences in the diff, I'm going to assume
that, when the install path in /etc/pkg.conf is looking forward to the
future, so to speak, it's safe to edit it and do the hw_update after
the first boot.

> I changed the path to point to snapshots, then ran fw_update without
> parameters, and the only thing it told me was that quirks is up to
> date. I was expecting ti o say it found something, but, then again,
> the video controller on this guy is one of the unknowns in the dmesg,
> if I'm readng it right.

I'll have to try to remember to keep a better eye on that message when
I re-install on the internal drive.

> dmesg for the snapshot:
> [...]
diff of the dmesgs:
-----------------------
1,2c1,2
< OpenBSD 5.8 (GENERIC.MP) #1234: Thu Aug  6 09:26:52 MDT 2015
<     dera...@amd64.openbsd.org:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC.MP
---
> OpenBSD 5.7-current (GENERIC_GPT.MP) #0: Sun Jun 14 23:13:31 JST 2015
>     r...@phool.my.domain:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC_GPT.MP
4c4
< avail mem = 1776320512 (1694MB)
---
> avail mem = 1776336896 (1694MB)
19c19
< cpu0: AMD A4-1200 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics, 998.27 MHz
---
> cpu0: AMD A4-1200 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics, 998.26 MHz
46,47c46,47
< acpicpu0 at acpi0: !C2(0@400 io@0x414), C1(@1 halt!), PSS
< acpicpu1 at acpi0: !C2(0@400 io@0x414), C1(@1 halt!), PSS
---
> acpicpu0 at acpi0: PSS
> acpicpu1 at acpi0: PSS
130c130
< root on sd1a (8c7ca2743aa7e90e.a) swap on sd1b dump on sd1b
---
> root on sd0a (c910159e72666593.a) swap on sd0b dump on sd0b

Whatever it didn't find on the snapshot, it didn't seem to have found it before.

Sorry for the noise.

--
Joel Rees