On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 12:48:20PM +0200, Benny Lofgren wrote:
> and one open "honey pot" network that I'm having fun with
> to see who tries to get internet access with any open wlan they can
> find. Surprisingly many, in fact... but they're only greeted with a web
> page with bright red background that says "Hey, get your own net." :-)

This is getting off-topic, but since you seem to be in Sweden I'd like
to suggest you consider allowing people to at least tunnel out of your
honeypot to somewhere else, if not just open it up. AFAIK the legal
situation in your country still allows you to do that.

Where I live my freedom to share my network connection has been taken
away from me. I still run open wifi but it depends on a legal hack.
IPv4 internet access used to just connect out but now it's tunnelled to
a community-backed ISP which was founded for the purpose of working around
legal restrictions. Being an ISP they have carrier status so the restrictions
don't apply to them though who knows when that will change for the worse.
IPv6 traffic goes across a community owned wifi mesh directly to that
same ISP's BGP routers (AS44194) so it doesn't rely on infrastructure
which can be easily censored.

I'd like to see more use of OpenBSD for such purposes. However, it's clear
there are many better options for running acess points right now.

I travel a lot and use VPN to my home to keep up with life and data
roaming is unnecessarily expensive. So I often depend on open wifi.
What you're doing is a slap in the face to people like me. If you don't
want to share your connection, fine, but please turn your honeypot off.