On 2015-08-29 Sat 08:28 AM |, Nick Holland wrote:
> On 08/29/15 08:14, Craig Skinner wrote:
> > Hi team,
> >
> > I played about with manually allocating /var/tmp in a 5.7 install.
> >
> > Twice tar has complained when installing from local disk with:
> >  < 512Mb /tmp
> >  > 512Mb /var/tmp
> >
> > I dunno if it's anything to worry about.
> >
> > Here's hoping a script(1) log doesn't bugger up this mail formatting...:
>
> yeah.  /var/tmp (the directory) has been replaced by a symlink to /tmp.
>  Your machine already has a directory where baseXX tried to drop a symlink.

That explains it! Ta.

Earlier installs on this box gave:
Cannot determine prefetch area. Continue without verification? [no]

>From /usr/src/distrib/miniroot/install.sub I noticed if any of
/tmp /var/tmp /home /usr /usr/local were larger than 512Mb,
the verification would be done in there:

                # Find a filesystem to store the prefetched sets. Prefer file-
                # systems which are not used during extraction. They need to
                # have 512 MB free space. Otherwise use any other filesystem
                # having 2 GB free space to prevent overflow during extraction.
                _tmpfs=$( (
                        for fs in /mnt/{{,var/}tmp,home,usr{/local,}}; do
                                df -k $fs 2>/dev/null | grep " $fs\$"
                        done
                        df -k
                ) | (
                        while read a a a a m m; do
                                [[ $m ==
/mnt/@(@(|var/)tmp|home|usr/@(src,obj,xobj))@(|/*) ]] &&
                                        ((a > 524288)) && echo $m && exit
                                [[ $m == /mnt@(|/*) ]] &&
                                        ((a > 524288 * 4)) && echo $m && exit
                        done
                ) )

                if [[ -d $_tmpfs ]]; then
                        ! _tmpsrc=$(tmpdir "$_tmpfs/sets") &&
                        _issue="Cannot create prefetch area" && break
                else
                        _issue="Cannot determine prefetch area" && break
                fi

So I added an obsolete /var/tmp & increased /usr/local to see what would happen.

Cheers.
--
Twenty Percent of Zero is Better than Nothing.
                -- Walt Kelly