Backslash says "ignore the following charecter".  You are using it to
ignore the newline.

If you ignore the space instead, the newline then matters.

This is not a bug, this is 100% by design.

You'll need to ensure there are no trailing spaces after a backslash
(and we do recommend removing trailing spaces in general, but those are
not as damaging)