On Sat, Sep 12, 2015 at 11:02:13AM +0200, Jiri Navratil wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to edit UTF-8 text files under vi or mg?

As far as I know most base utilities do not yet have UTF-8 support, but
it might be coming soon, as announced in stsp@'s c2k15 report:

http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20150722182236

where it is also mentioned that ksh(1), mg(1) and vi(1) don't
support UTF-8, yet.

> I'm using some machines, where I need to touch UTF-8 encoded files only
> rarely. I would prefer to avoid installation of Vim there and instead
> use a "in OS included" text editor. Is that possible and how to use and
> configure them?

I think nvi would be a good alternative to vim:

$ pkg_info nvi-2.1.3
Information for
http://mirror.switch.ch/ftp/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/packages/amd64/nvi-2.1.3.tgz

Comment:
ex/vi text editor with wide character support

Nvi is an implementation of the ex/vi text editor originally distributed as
part of the Fourth Berkeley Software Distribution (4BSD), by the University
of California, Berkeley.

Nvi supports all the historic ex/vi features except for open mode and the
lisp edit option (e.g., it has a fully implemented underlying ex mode). It
has a number of additional features as well:

* 8-bit clean data, lines and files limited by available memory
* Multiple edit buffers
* Colon command-line editing and path name completion
* Tag stacks (including support for Cscope databases)
* Extended Regular Expressions
* Infinite undo
* Horizontal scrolling
* Message catalogs
* Wide character support

Available flavors:
        iconv - support conversion between different character encodings

Maintainer: Anthony J. Bentley <anth...@cathet.us>

WWW: https://github.com/lichray/nvi2