On 12/23/05, J. C. Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It may have seemed strange for me to ask for this info but in many
> cases, including yours, it can make things real simple...

Thankyou so much JC for all the helpand suport porvided :-)

The office was closed since I got your mail so I could check out
things only todday.

> This modem/router you have actually has a http based administration
> console built into the device and through the admin console you can
> configure the device itself to do your PPPoE for you. This means you can
> just use dhcp for your external interface and not run pppoe on your
> openbsd box.

Yes it does have a http based administration console and it came
configured as you said.

It would give the interface 192.168.1.1 IP while using dhcp and the
router NATs packets to the internet IP.  was not very much in favour
of this because I was not sure the NATing speed of the router and how
it would perfor under heavy load. I preferred to give the internet IP
to the NIC and let OpenBSD do the NATing.

So I called up the providers and they told me to reset the modem to
factory settings and use Windows XP to connect to internet because
they knew to configure pppoe on windows XP only when the modem is in
the factory settings.

I saw that my pppoe configuration get stuck in the phase

pppoe0: phase authenticate

so as bruno suggested I gave CHAP instead of PAP and re did all
configurations from the begining and it is working. Thankyou JC for
all the explanation once again :-))))

kind regards

Siju