On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 21:28:06 -0500, Dale Rahn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>On Wed, Dec 28, 2005 at 12:52:23AM +0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:
>> > During this time I was reading through the documentation and realized
>> > there's just an ARM7 processor on the device. I know that some of the
>> > linksys devices have one of those other broken unix variant running on
>> > them,
>> > so would it ever be likely we'd see a port to one of these simple devices
>> > for OpenBSD?
>>
>> Obviously I don't speak for developers, but I'm not sure a device with
>> a processor which looks around 10% the speed of a Zaurus, 8mb RAM, and
>> undocumented wireless nic is going to be interesting enough to warrant
>> the time a port takes..(read the slides about the Zaurus port for some
>> information about what's involved in porting to a new machine, it is a
>> lot of work: http://www.openbsd.org/papers/ven05-niallo-uwe/slides.pdf).
>>
>> Looks like it needs very fine soldering skills just to attach a serial
>> port: http://seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/SamSung4510
>>

>If anyone knows about an ARM 11 based device that has reasonable IO: network,
>disk options (CF or better), minipci, ...  The developers would be quite
>interested in finding out about such a device.
>
>Dale Rahn                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I've got an Atmel AT91RM9200 reference board over here that somewhat
fits your BOM. It's ARM9 based. The problem is, as usual, the cost of
reference design boards from the manufacturer is usually very high for
the sake of preventing casual buyers... -Since chip vendors are in the
business of selling chips rather than selling boards, they don't want to
sell boards be since it's competition with their customers.

Heck, if there's interest in an OpenBSD port, Atmel might be interested
in supplying a set of boards to developers... If you're interested, let
me know.

There's already full WinCE and linux support, so porting would probably
not need to be done completely blind. Though I haven't really checked
thoroughly, docs *seem* to be generally available and even the design
files are available.

Electrical Schematics are available (Cadence:Orcad)
PCB Layout files are available (Cadence:Allegro)
Complete BOM is available (Microsoft:Excel)

Reference Board Details:
http://www.at91.com/Pages/products/EvaluationBoard/AT91RM9200EK/at91rm9200ek.html

Chip Details:
http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/product_card.asp?part_id=2983

The main (frames) Atmel support site for their reference designs:
http://www.at91.com/

The AT91RM9200 reference design very hackable for all sorts of various
uses and is being used as a software development platform for a lot of
interesting products:

http://www.prodacc.com/html/service.html

DISCLAIMER: I know the guys who built the security camera linked above
and I got to tinker with it, so I have a bias. ;-)

jcr