On Thu, Oct 08, 2015 at 12:50:59AM +0800, Mikael wrote:
:
> *Impression:*
> Based on what Benny and I think someone else said, I got an approximative
> impression something like that the whole disklabelling system is actually
> designed with the intention that every disklabel is required to
>
> 1) Have an "a" partition that
> 2) Starts on sector 64 and continues at least up to and including sector 79
> and

You are assuming in your example that the OpenBSD part of the disk starts at
sector 64 on a 512-byte sector disk.  That does not have to be true.
For an i386 or amd64 system it is where the OpenBSD fdisk partition starts
that is important.  And from that point it is 8 kByte that is reserved
for e.g boot code and BSD disklabel.

> 2) Be of the 4.2BSD or RAID type,

The utilities using these avoids using the first 8 kByte so that is just
fine.

In another contemporary thread it was linked to a document about softraid
key disks and there it was clearly stated that to back up and restore a
such a key partition you should avoid the first 8 kByte of the partition
e.g by using dd bs=8192 skip=1 for backup and dd bs=8192 seek=1 for restore.