I run NetBSD 7.0/hpcarm (previously NBSD 6.1.1 through 6.1.5) on a
daily-use machine directly from a CF since August 2013. During an upgrade
from 6.1.5 to NetBSD 7.0 RC2 a few months ago, I finally ran into a pretty
gnarly write error condition on a 4GB SanDisk CF. I bought a fresh 16GB
card to replace it, but formatting it seems to have worked (fingers
crossed) and it's still working fine in a different machine.  CF is pretty
robust. I would hesitate to put a swap partition on it, but other than
that, I'd think you would be fine, especially with syslog buffering in RAM
as Stu mentioned.

Back in 2006, I was running a cluster of 200-300 OpenBSD 4.x 1U rackmounts
purely from ramdisk, booting from 64MB Kingston USB sticks. I won't lie. It
was kind of a pain in the butt, but things are probably a little better
these days.