On 10/27/15 16:33, Stuart Henderson wrote:
On 2015-10-27, Federico Giannici <giann...@neomedia.it> wrote:
On 10/27/15 15:31, Chris Cappuccio wrote:
Federico Giannici [giann...@neomedia.it] wrote:
I have to install in an OpenBSD 5.8 amd64 a PCI-E ethernet card supporting
1000BASE-LX (i.e. 1Gbps with Single Mode Fiber).

Usually we use Intel cards (em driver) but I found that the only Intel LX
card has a PCI-X bus!

What reliable LX NIC with PCI-E do you suggest?

If you have trouble finding SFP versions of em cards, you can always try
SFP+ versions of ix cards. They work with 1Gbps SFP and are readily available
from several vendors.

I can confirm this works as of 5.8.

ix1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
         media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseLX full-duplex,rxpause,txpause)

In earlier releases you would have got 'Unsupported SFP+ Module' when
attaching the interface.

Yes, I saw that change in the ix source, so I expected the 5.8 to make it work, but it didn't...

We do have an ix card, the Intel X520-LR1.
I read that it is supposed to work as 1000BASE-LX too but we were not
able to make it work! It never gives the link.

If we try to set 1000BASE-LX as media type it gives error.

isengard:/home/giannici> ifconfig ix2 media
ix2: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
          lladdr 00:1b:21:91:5f:20
          priority: 0
          media: Ethernet autoselect
          status: no carrier
          supported media:
                  media 10GbaseLR mediaopt full-duplex
                  media autoselect

Are you sure that it is supposed to work as 1000BASE-LX with OpenBSD 5.8?

Thanks.

I think you're trying to use a 10GbaseLR SFP+ for this, that won't work -
you need an 1000baseLX SFP.

I tried with a couple of different 1000baseLX SFPs.
Now I'm waiting for a Cisco one, as Chris said these worked for him...

Thanks.